Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Spiders

What started as a very innocent conversation this morning sparked a discussion that had all my little scientists hurrying to look for information. I asked the studensts what they noticed outside the room. They quickly told me that they saw a spider web and they had a discussion about whether or not the spider web was real. I told them that they could get their microscopes ("cause that is what real scientists look with") and they were off.
They looked carefully and with discussion decided that a person must have made the web. They said that,"it is made out of yarn - can you see that?" and that "there are staples holding it together."

And we were off to the library. The students asked Mrs. Shirtliffe for "books about spiders. Real books" and she helped us find some. We brought them back to the classroom and started to look. I let them use sticky notes to show me where they could find information(pictures) about webs. They researched about the webs with pictures and they are excited to continue.
One of the boys told me that he knows where webs are made from? When I asked he told me the webs come from the bum (he said the last word in a whisper) and I told him that he was right.
Pretty good investigative work Kindergarten. We will keep working on it!






No comments:

Post a Comment